[MUD-Dev] Fw: 16K mud server competition !

Miroslav Silovic silovic at zesoi.fer.hr
Tue Apr 4 13:52:45 CEST 2000

Cynbe ru Taren <cynbe at muq.org> writes:

> Optimal solution is probably a language like J, Haskell or teco
> that is more about conciseness than efficiency. :)

*grin* I *hope* you meant to say 'readability' rather than efficiency.

> 16K of J will take you a long way.  For example, check out:
>
>    http://www.ai.mit.edu/extra/icfp-contest/isi.html
>
> This is the 229 lines and 7078 characters (including comments and
> development support "dead" code) J program that won honorable
> mention in the ICFP '98 Functional Programming Contest for beating
> out many compiled C programs many times longer, despite being an
> interpreted language.

I heard of J before and your post finally got me to read the docs. J
is somewhat more powerful than Perl, and somewhat less readable than
Intercal. Rather interesting language, in other words. ;)

Seriously, I haven't read the contest rules yet, but I assume they
limit the language selection. Otherwise, you can just write a MUD in
Java or Common LISP (The Language With Everything On, or Did You
Really Think That -Emacs- Was Big? or MMap Twenty Megabytes On
Startup), and use all the available libraries for these languages - as
a result, you'd get really small code indeed, and it'd want to link to
megabytes of runtime environment.

Also note that they rank the entries by maintainability, which rather
limits the use of C obfuscators (or J, for that matter).

--
How to eff the ineffable?