[MUD-Dev] an essay on PK

Adam Wiggins adam at angel.com
Tue Sep 28 11:11:58 CEST 1999

On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, Charles Hughes wrote:
> Along the lines of going too far...I played on a Diku where the guards
> did attempt to arrest you for wielding, but you had to follow the guard
> in order to be arrested.  If you didn't follow the guard, he would attack
> and kill you. Given the vagaries of the Internet, it wasn't long before
> I died to netlag.  Might I suggest a friendlier type of guard that simply
> knocks you unconscious (and drags you off to jail), or prevents you
> from leaving his immediate vicinity?

I'd go for something simple and foolproof, but not deadly to the wielder.

eg:

% l
The Town Square
%
A guard arrives from the north.
%
The guard tells you, 'No weapons bared in town - sheathe that sword at once!'
%
The guard tells you, 'Well then, I'll just have to confiscate that.'
The guard snatches a silver longsword from your hand.
The guard tells you, 'If I catch you bearing weapons here again, you'll be ejected.'
% wield axe
You wield a battle-axe.
%
The guard says, 'Two strikes and you're out, Bubba!'
The guard snatches a battle-axe from your hand.
The guard grabs you by the collar, and drags you outside the gates.
The guard says, 'Come back when you can keep the peace!'
% l
Outside the Town Gates
%

If the player tried to walk off after being challanged, just have the guard
intercept them, as in: 'The guard puts out his arm and blocks your path.'

Adam

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu