[MUD-Dev] The Best Guy on the Mud Thing

Sat Sep 18 20:17:10 CEST 1999

"Ilya, Game Commandos" wrote:
> Ola wrote:
> ))You may consider creating a
> ))basic general game for everybody and "special" games for those that have the extra time.
> ))(I'm not saying it is going to be easy to maintain perceived fairness though)
>
> I think that is what I am suggesting, at least as a possibility.

I meant within the same MUD though. The general game will favour real time,
that is weekly logins and a certain amount of time spent each week. The
special games will favour play time. In the classic MUD context the general
game would involve concepts needed to participate, travel, protect oneself,
etc. The special games would be stuff like lock picking, large puzzle quests
etc. To maintain the goal of fairness in the general game, one would have to
make sure that the rewards from the special games are not really tradable,
and that they are most useful in other special game activities..?

What we need, in order to make rational design choices, is more insight into
how people actually approach MUDs, and how that relates to passage of time
and weekly usage. I would love to see some statistics on how (or if)
different time usage patterns correlates with activities. It would have to
come from a system which aim at the general (clueless) public, in order to
be representative... Hmm.  Any undertakers?

> ))I'm afraid I don't quite understand what "agreement is" means. (I'm norwegian remember!)

> It means "The state of agreement exists" (by implication, between us) or
> "I agree with you."

After a few more clock cycles I realized that. Although there was the
possibility that you might have accidentally omitted the word "futile"...
--
Ola

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu