[MUD-Dev] Attracting players

Emil Eifrém <emil@windh.com> Emil Eifrém <emil@windh.com>
Fri Sep 17 21:46:22 CEST 1999

On Friday, September 17, 1999 7:09 PM, Adam Wiggins wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Koster, Raph wrote:
> > Back int he day, Legend had a very nice site. Now it is
> very dated. We're
> > working on an update at http://mud.sig.net/new/
>
> Wow - *very* nice!  I certainly think that this will make a
> difference.
> Just trying to capture the mood that your mud presents with a web page
> is probably the trickiest part, and what I see here does a good job.
>
> Now you just need to put the words 'sex', 'Microsoft',
> 'Pokemon', 'anime',
> and 'Linux' in small print at the bottom of the main page to make sure
> that you turn up on search engines. :)

That and a nice domain name. We have done zero, zip and nada advertising for
our website and I still receive literally 2-3 offers per month from people
who wish to help out on our project. Add to that the fact that I haven't
updated the site in ages, haven't even fixed the broken images links from
our server move two weeks ago and that the site is a web design catastrophy.
What gives? The only sensible explanation I have for its apparent popularity
is the domain name.

---
Emil Eifrem [emil at windh.net]
Java Developer, .windh AB