[MUD-Dev] The Best Guy on the Mud Thing

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Thu Sep 16 21:16:35 CEST 1999

On 02:15 PM 9/16/1999 +0000, I personally witnessed Dundee jumping up to say:

>If your ratio drops relative to the average, then essentially that means
>GooGoo's been practicing more than you have (based on the mud average as he
>is).  He's gotten better, and you haven't.  Same thing happened you vs. one
>of those other players:  Not just (or even at all) because you've gotten
>worse, but because they've gotten better.

Isn't this basically grading on a curve? And wouldn't it unfairly favor the
original playerbase over the newer players?

>Doesn't the model of static mobs and dynamic PCs sort of run contrary to
>that idea though?  I mean, the player get better or worse at skills, but
>the mobs are always the same.... when they are really all supposed to be
>creatures of the world, after all.

PCs are special. They will always be special. They are not treated like
mobs, because they are not mobs. PCs are special *because* they are PCs.
Because players do not want to play average Joe Blow members of the
society. They want to play SPECIAL members of society. If I wanted to be
Joe Blow, I could do that IRL.

-----

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu