[MUD-Dev] Attracting players

Matthew Mihaly diablo at best.com
Thu Sep 16 13:19:35 CEST 1999

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Koster, Raph wrote:

>                                         (Telnets this month)  (avg)
> #1   Waterdeep                       C        524             16.90323
> #4   AnimeMUD                        C        386             12.45161
> #5   Pokemon Also Included           C        377             12.16129
> #6   Star Wars: Revenge of the Jedi  C        311             10.03226
> #7   Star Wars: Rise in Power        C        299             9.64516
> #11  Dragon ball series              C        288             9.29032
> #12  Pokemon Stars                   R        287             9.25806
> #13  Final Fantazia Legend           C        280             9.03226
> #17  Aliens vs. Predator             C        267             8.61290
> #18  Warhammer 40k: Tides of Chaos   C        263             8.48387
> #20  Discworld                       C        252             8.12903

My god, how awful.

If you want more traffic, you have to advertise. There's no way around it.
No one cares about newsgroups anymore, as that's not where the traffic is
(and besides, posting an advert for a mud on a newsgroup is just asking to
be flamed.) We easily get more click-throughs and subsequent connections
from our web page into Achaea (from mudconnector) than the top three muds
listed combined (mudconnector doesn't count them though, as they are from
our banner ads). There are just too many muds listed to get individual
attention unless you have a way of drawing eyes (whether that be running
banner ads, or cheesy shit like a Pokemon mud).
--matt

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu