[MUD-Dev] The Best Guy on the Mud Thing

Tue Sep 14 19:22:44 CEST 1999

Ilya, SCC, Game Commando wrote:

> Ha!  What I mean is, let's direct energies in other ways, to solve problems
> where there is a reasonable chance of finding and implementing a solution
> that is better than the problem itself!

Yes, that is of course not a bad idea, but sometimes it might be worthwhile to struggle
with the "impossible" (at least on a thought-level which we do here) in order to explore
the possibilities. Then whatever comes out of this may be integrated in other contexts
at a later stage.

It might be fruitful to rethink the basic structure, rather than just fixing the classic
one.

> If you always are going to have some players playing more often, and some
> playing less, it seems to me unwise to punish the ones who play more often,
> and help the ones who play less, or whatever it is you call it when you
> try to "make it more fair."

Yes, but it doesn't necessarily have to involve punishment. You may consider creating a
basic general game for everybody and "special" games for those that have the extra time.
(I'm not saying it is going to be easy to maintain perceived fairness though)

> I have no problem with that.  Let them associate however they will, without
> regard to level or whatever.  I just don't see that people who have radically
> different time commitments need some sort of handicapping system to keep them
> "even."

I guess that would depend on the gamesystem and how it is balanced... I'd like to see
some conceptual models of different gamesystems and their basic concepts. That would
make discussions like this easier.

> ))"monetary economy". (I'm vague, but I wan't to keep my own ideas for myself for
> ))now, thank you :)
>
> You are welcome.  I have no idea what you are talking about, but it
> doesn't hurt to be pleasant!

I wasn't aware that I was unpleasant? (You asked for my ideas, I think?)

> ))Make things motivating and fun would be my first goal. If that involves "fair" or
> ))"even", well, then that would have to be included too.
>
> Agreement is.

I'm afraid I don't quite understand what "agreement is" means. (I'm norwegian remember!)

Ola.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu