[MUD-Dev] The Relationship between pkers and monster AI?

Jeremy Jeremy
Sat Sep 11 19:06:49 CEST 1999

On Fri, 10 Sep 1999, Mik Clarke wrote:
> > The delicate balance that a lot of mud-designers want to reach is that where
> > the entertainment value of the potential danger of being PK'ed exists,
> > without allowing PKing to take over the game and swamp any other sources of
> > enjoyment or entertainment.  PKing should be possible, but not without risk,
> > cost, or recourse.  And other forms of competitive behavior should be
> > possible too.  IMHO.
>
> Hmmm. Prehaps PKing should set the premadeath flag for the killer (with
> some fairly involved process for getting it turned back on again). And
> maybe there should be a few extra monsters that seek out pkillers as
> they
> obviously aren't getting enough fun out of the mud...
>
> Actually, given my 'equal right for NPCs stance', this should probably
> apply to most peaceful mobs as well.

You just described the alignment stat.  :)
An interesting mechanic.  If your alignment is -500 or worse and you get
killed it is a permadeath.  Makes that detect alignment spell worth using.
:)

Sterling @ Wyld Knight

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu