[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev digest, Vol 1 #142 - 4 msgs

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Wed Sep 1 20:53:07 CEST 1999

On Tue 31 Aug, Greg Miller wrote:
> Marian Griffith wrote:

> > Not at all. I think I have refered to the tailor's dilemma to explain
> > what I mean.  Basically it comes down to the following: If one player
> > does not want to fight/PK and another does,  how can the first player
> > protect herself?  Forcing her to learn to fight (which is essentially
> > what happens with player enforced justice) is obviously not the right
> > solution since she has no interest in that direction  and it seems to
> > be wrong to force her.

> This is what I'm talking about. "Obviously not the right solution" makes
> a large number of assumptions about who you want playing and how you
> want them to play. I'm rather pessimistic about games that try to be all
> things to all people--but I do think you can pick reasonable subsets and
> do pretty well.

On the contrary. We are talking about the tailor and her dilemma. For
-her- being forced to learn to fight and spent a lot of time doing so
is obviously not the right solution.
This says nothing definitive about the game,  though if the game does
allow the tailor it should also address this dilemma in some form. If
it fails to do so  it is in essence unfair to the players who want to
be tailors, because it promises something that it can not deliver.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,
Arrows of the Queen, by Mercedes Lackey