[MUD-Dev] The Relationship between pkers and monster AI?

Greg Miller gmiller at classic-games.com
Thu Oct 14 12:19:27 CEST 1999

Travis Casey wrote:
> What's preventing you?  The fact that some players want to talk
> in-character doesn't stop you from talking out-of-character to other
> players -- or even to those players, if they're agreeable to it.  If
> you want *all* socialization to be direct, why bother having
> "characters" at all?

Because it's a game, and characters are a suitable mechanic for a
certain class of games. Take the class of video games known as "vertical
shooters"... They generally have a space ship/super fighter/whatever
with which you blast the enemy. Why, since nobody roleplays in those
games? Because controlling that ship is an entertaining mechanic in the
game.

> In my own experience, most mud players have never *tried* roleplaying.
> Thus, they can't know whether it would be fun for them or not.

Most have never tried suicide, either, but they have an idea of what
it's about.
--
http://www.classic-games.com/
Conspiracy theorists mistakenly assume others think before acting.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu