[MUD-Dev] Skill Power vs Skill Rarity

Mik Clarke mikclrk at attglobal.net
Mon Oct 11 20:15:14 CEST 1999

Philip Loguinov -- Draymoor wrote:

> I've been toying arround with the idea of skill power and rarity.
> Basicly, can skill or spell power be counteracted effectively enough
> by making it hard to learn, cast (rare spell components), and/or
> dangerous to the user (A spell that drains HP or stats until the
> caster has rested enough). I think that it can, but i haven't seen it
> in action. I'd like to know from people who actually have tested
> something like this against players, can it work or do players find
> a way to exploit it anyway?

Well, we use an approach where we can make skills more expensive to
learn (less skill points for your practice) and where we make it hard
to find teachers.  To some extent skills can be rewards for players.
We alos have a system of prerequisites in place, so people cannot just
walk in and grab the 'best' skill.  To get Ultra damage you must
know enhanced damage.  To get martial Arts you must know hand to hand.
We will probably allow players to teach skills to each other (subject
to these restrictions).  I suspect everyone will end up knowing
everything, although at only 3 practices a level, it will take a while.

Mik

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu