[MUD-Dev] Attracting players

Andrew Wilson andrew at aaaaaaaa.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 4 21:40:03 CEST 1999

Matthew Mihaly:
> On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Koster, Raph wrote:

  RK actually *quoted* this from an article someone else wrote:

> > Been a while since this thread saw any activity, but I came across this
> > article at Mud Journal and thought it relevant and interesting.
> >
> >    The MUD name: This should be easily readable. Lots of nice ASCII
> > characters are nice but if you can't read the welcome screen it gives the
> > impression of the immortals attitude being, "This is my MUD, I made the
> > login screen look good to me, who cares about you." Color: Color is good to
> > use on a welcome screen if you put in the correct code to check if the
> > person can actually decode it. There are still many terminals out there that
> > cannot decode ANSI codes and displaying color to these will cause weird
> > symbols to appear. Again this gives the same appearance of the immortals
> > saying, "I coded this mud for me and I don't care about all the players."
>
> Hmm, I wasn't aware it was possible for a server to determine if a
> player's client can decode colour. How is this done?

Use a client-server protocol that negotiates capabilities when you
connect.  MCP/2.1 does this.

    http://www.awns.com/mcp/

If the client doesn't support MCP then the negotiation doesn't
happen and the capability (coloured text, say) is left turned-off.
The user can still turn it on 'by hand' by typing a command like,
say, '@colour +on'.

Cheers,
Ay.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu