[MUD-Dev] about MOO

Joey Hess joey at kitenet.net
Fri Nov 19 14:14:22 CET 1999

Dan Root wrote:
> One significant flaw in MOO is it's use of an entirely memory based
> system for persistence.  A large MOO can easily be 80 to 200 Megs in
> memory.  TrekMOO and Lambda both claim those sorts of figures.  How much of
> this bloat could be avoided is debatable, but the point remains that this
> can be a serious drawback for using MOO in a environment where growth is a
> significant meta-goal of the game.  See the list archives for various
> debates on memory versus disk-based games.  JCL made a particularly
> informative and persuasive post during one such discussion.

There was once a disk based version of LambdaMOO, IIRC, though it may have
never really gotten off the ground.

Other MOO variaents, like LPMOO, are disk based. There's nothing fundamental
in the MOO model that requires everything be resident in memory. I've
designed MOO's that can pull object information out of a SQL database, for
example.

--
see shy jo

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu