[MUD-Dev] Admins as Mortals

Travis S. Casey efindel at io.com
Fri Nov 19 11:10:06 CET 1999

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, J C Lawrence wrote:
> Philip Loguinov <-- Draymoor" <fibhufky at erols.com>> wrote:
>
> > All that is a very nice concept i think, however, i can see from
> > the start there would be serious problems that could arrise, like
> > builder corruption or player's sucking up.  Has anyone tried this?
> > Can someone see something i could do to make this work smoothly or
> > at least some problems i may have missed.
>
> I recommend that your admins never appear in the game world in any
> form that is recognisable or identifiable as an admin.  If any human
> has administrative capabilities, make damned sure that NOBODY knows
> who their player characters are.  Just cut the cord.  You have
> player characters who operate within the game world, and
> administrative characters who operated outside the game world, and
> never the twain shall meet.

I've recommended before that a commercial mud ought to run at least two
servers -- one where the actual playing is done, and a "beta" server where
new areas are developed and playtested.  This way, builders and such can
be set up to only have special powers on the development server, where
they can't directly affect the "real" game.  This also insulates the
players from bugs in test code or the need to reboot to test things (to
some extent -- some bugs may still make it through the testing process,
but the worst ones should be caught there).

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_        Travis S. Casey  <efindel at io.com>

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu