[MUD-Dev] Admin: Attribute your quotes

J C Lawrence claw at cp.net
Thu Nov 18 09:13:32 CET 1999

Writing as list owner:

  The rate of list submissions which do not properly attribute (or
flatly fail to attribute) their quoted text has been rising of late
to a half dozen or more per day.  You (hopefulyy) don't see them
because I do (and I'd rather not).

  Quoting from the list guidelines at

--<cut>--

  6.All quoted material must be attributed. For materials from other
    sources than the list, state the author and source. A reply to a
    post from the list must have at least the name of the original
    author if your mailer does not automatically prepend one. For
    example:

           [Bubba]
           >On  4 Jan 98 at 22:20, Boffo wrote:
           >> Buffy wrote:
           >>> I just found a neat way of handling newbie guides
           >>> at ...
           >>
           >> Yes, that is neat!  I particularly like the talking
           >> sword.

           ...etc.
--<cut>--

  This is not an idle statement.  Correct attributions are a flat
requirement for any post to make it onto the list.  This is not just
a way for me to excuse throwing away a post I don't like.  Correct
attribution is a statement of respect and acknowledgement for the
person quoted and provides a valuable back pointer for people
encountering your post during research.

J C Lawrence                              Internet: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)                            Internet: coder at kanga.nu
...Honorary Member of Clan McFud -- Teamer's Avenging Monolith...

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu