[MUD-Dev] code base inquiry

Ben Greear greear at cyberhighway.net
Wed Nov 17 23:08:21 CET 1999

"Matthew D. Fuller" wrote:

> I think if we're talking about codebases that can be used commercially as
> well as 'freely', the GPL becomes a problem itself.  Requiring source
> disclosure of all your changes is a burden if you're trying to use those
> changes (new features!  new things to do!  new fun stuff!) to distinguish
> yourself from 'the rest' and attract people to make a buck.

If you don't distribute the code in binary form, then you don't have to
release the source either.  Operating a server does not count as
releasing a binary, so you are under no legal burden to release the
source.  This may not go over well with people, but the GPL allows it.

> BSD-style licensing!

I think that tends to lead towards more forking, and seems to have less
mindshare on the internet today.  That said, I really like being able to
use BSD licensed code at work, and I think it is definately the way to
go for libraries, stacks, and other things that are the nuts and bolts
we build with..

--
Ben Greear (greear at cyberhighway.net)  http://scry.wanfear.com/~greear
Author of ScryMUD:  scry.wanfear.com 4444        (Released under GPL)

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu