[MUD-Dev] MySQL as a MUD.

Holly Sommer hsommer at micro.ti.com
Thu Nov 11 12:56:13 CET 1999

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999, Quzah wrote:

> Since it looks to me that MySQL will let you add
> in new tables (ala objects) at any time you want,
> you could have one table for "commands", one
> for "rules" etc etc. Whenever you wanted a new
> data type, you could easily modify an existing
> table, or create a whole new one instantly. (So
> it seems, from the little I read on it anyway.)

This is, of course, provided the DBA has set the appropriate permissions
on the database in which those tables are to reside.

> I think I'm going to do this, because it sounds
> like a fun thing to do. Does any one out there
> see any really "bad" things related to doing
> something like this? Something that I am over
> looking, since I haven't used SQL before? It
> seems an interesting idea, so I'll probably see
> if I can't give it a go, but I'd be interested
> in hearing ideas on the matter.

SQL itself is pretty simple, so it shouldn't have a whole lot of
upramping to learn...

> Anyway, it sounds interesting to me. I like
> the idea of being able to toss in new bits
> and pieces at my whim; and from the little I
> read on MySQL, it seems like it's supposed to
> fetch, put, and change data quickly quickly
> enough. Quickly enough to be a MUD? Just a
> thought... for now.

I can see the temptation in having a
no-need-to-reboot-because-I-can-drop-SQL-tables-in-like-OOP MUD, but I'd
be a little concerned with speed degradation. However, MySQL is a pretty
zippy server, so... I'm interested in seeing what comes of it :)

A good place to brush up on MySQL, btw (in addition to the docs), is
www.devshed.com

-Holly

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu