[MUD-Dev] Costikyan's new report on online gaming

Thu Nov 11 03:18:26 CET 1999

"Sellers, Michael" wrote:
>=20
> Raph wrote:
> >
> http://www.goodreports.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.100.exe/r-olgame.html?E+scs=
tore
>=20
> I have to admit, I have my doubts about the utility of this report.  Di=
> anyone see Costikyan's rant on the last page of Game Developer recently=
?

It was unfree, as in beer. :( Anyway, there are three articles on gamasut=
ra
that are fairly relevant for MUD design:

* A more motivational type of paper:                                 =20
"Glory and Shame: Powerful Psychology in Multiplayer Online Games"
by Jonathan Baron
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/19991110/Baron_01.htm

* (I have no time to get into this one, but it looks interesting)
"A Modular Framework for Artificial Intelligence Based on
Stimulus Response Directives"
by Charles Guy
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/19991110/guy_01.htm

* These people usually know what they are doing:
"Occlusion Culling Algorithms"=20
by Tomas M=F6ller and Eric Haines

-- =20
Ola Fosheim Groestad,Norway      http://www.notam.uio.no/~olagr/