[MUD-Dev] IMP (Interactive Mud Protocol?)

J C Lawrence claw at cp.net
Wed Nov 10 11:07:40 CET 1999

On Mon, 6 Sep 1999 15:27:17 -0400
Philip Loguinov <-- Draymoor" <fibhufky at erols.com>> wrote:

> Ok, i just heard about something called IMP (Interactive Mud
> Protocol), I'm looking for any info on what this is/does/where to
> get it. Thanks

I don't have anyything definite on this, but I suspect it is in
reference to using bidirectional HTTP for MUD clients.  There's a
semi-useful discussion of the area rooted at:

  http://www.di.unito.it/mail_archive/2WayProt/0000.html

<later>

Ahh, found it!  See:

  http://www.firebolt.com/IMP-rfc.html

--<cut>--
The Purpose

Select a working subset of HTML that incorporates easily into a MUD
stream Allow a seamless integration into normal servers so that
users of an IMP-enabled client notice only the tremendous special
features and not the detection process while users of other clients
are not affected at all.
--<cut>--

I also observe the utter lack of a reference implementation.

J C Lawrence  Internet: claw at kanga.nu
----------(*)Internet: coder at kanga.nu
...Honorary Member of Clan McFud -- Teamer's Avenging Monolith...

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu