[MUD-Dev] Multi-threaded mud server.

Ola Fosheim Grøstad <no@no.no> Ola Fosheim Grøstad <no@no.no>
Mon May 17 20:51:26 CEST 1999

"Travis S. Casey" wrote:
> >From what you're saying, it sounds like you might not completely
> understand the difference between a thread and a process.  In a threaded
> system, a process is the thing to which resources are granted -- thus, the
> process owns memory, file handles, and things like that.  Multiple threads
> exist inside a process, each executing a different part of the code that
> the process owns.  Any thread within the process can make use of any
> resource that the process controls -- thus, all the threads can access the
> process' memory, file handles, etc.

Maybe people should say "the executing program", or "unix-process", or
"OS-process", because really, the word process is used to mean a lot of
different things, depending on the context it is used in. I've seen some
other words too!  I personally often use the word "process" in the modelling
sense. That is, anything with a runtime-stack. "thread" sounds stupid when
one talks about an abstract system :)
--
Ola Fosheim Groestad,Norway      http://www.stud.ifi.uio.no/~olag/

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu