[MUD-Dev] Custom Server Roll Call?

Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt hhs at cbs.dtu.dk
Tue May 11 12:20:12 CEST 1999

On Mon, 10 May 1999, Adam Wiggins wrote:

> On Thu, 6 May 1999, Jon A. Lambert wrote:
> > This should be a snap, really, to provide support for the blind to AL=
L=20
> > existing telnet text-based muds.
> > [...]
>=20
> He also used to have quite a bit of fun with the whole blindness spell =
thing.
> One of his favorite cracks, of course, was, "'You are blind.' no kiddin=
g!
> thanks for reminding me!" after something blinded him (pretty common on=
 that
> mud).  He also complained, half-jokingly, that the blind effect was
> 'unrealistic' because there was no 'feel' command.  "come on, if that's
> really how it was I'd be a useless lump of flesh" he'd say.

------------------------
You're blind.
You notice several somethings moving about near you.

> feel 1st something

It has matted hair, and long long fangs... uh-oh!
------------------------

The idea is not bad. It would require that your game either had a general
way of decribing the overall way things feel (f.instance a general
description for swords could come in handy), but this also could contain
hidden information, like secret compartments hidden in the handles of
daggers, an you would not see its opening mechanism, only feel it. Also,
for the more colorful descriptions (as above), you could let builders
expand/replace a general description.=20

feeling around a room would let you feel the items there one at a time,
and if possible you could pick up what you just felt (unless someone
removed it).

> Long story short, I think is, that if you make your mud a traditional
> text-based/telnet accessable one, someone with the same equipment that =
guy
> had should be able to play it.
>=20
> Adam W.

I know a blind admin, he does building/programming as well. Basically,
telnet interface will ensure that they can use it with their software tha=
reads up the output on a speaker (i'm told it sound like chipmunks on
speed, hehe).

Hans Henrik St=E6rfeldt   |    bombman at diku.dk    | work:  hhs at cbs.dtu.dk=

address:                |___  +45 40383492    __|__       +45 45252425   =
  __|
 Dybendalsvej 74 2. th, | Scientific programmer at Center for Biological =

 2720 Vanl=F8se, Danmark. |  Sequence Analysis, Technical University of D=
enmark|

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu