[MUD-Dev] Interesting dilemma

Quzah Quzah
Mon May 3 12:18:40 CEST 1999

From: Peck, Matthew x96724c1 <x96724 at exmail.usma.army.mil>
Sent: Sunday, May 02, 1999 10:38 PM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] Interesting dilemma

> I am currently facing an interesting and complicated dilemma in my mud.  The
> problem is what I call "Illegal Equipment."  This is equipment that is
> unbalanced for normal gameplay in one way or another.  Most of this
> equipment has a legitimate in-game purpose, whether it exists on mobs or as
> artifacts.  However, I have discovered that several immortals will load
> multiple copies of the items and distribute them for various reasons, from
> quest rewards to level bonuses or other reasons.  In addition, they will
> often restring the items to personalize it, yet also making the item
> difficult to detect.

Track them by vnum rather than name. Likewise you could write a set of
functions to display/sort all objects in a list by certin criteria:

  %osort damage

  damage | vnum  | owner   | name
   1d20  | 1303  | Joe     | wooden sword
   1d5   | 24051 | Bob     | garden spade
   5d400 | 1303  | Hank    | garden spade

Ah, so Hank has a tweaked wooden sword...

> Another problem that I have is then confiscating these items.  Is there any
> way to do it nicely?  I have one immortal who has taken it upon himself to
> start clearing out these items.  While I approve of the effort, the mud has
> suddenly taken a hostile turn.  Morts seem to have gained a distrust for
> immortals.  How can I heal this rift?  No mud can survive with such conflict
> for long.  The imms will win, only to find no players.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> --Matt Peck

Make your code do it for you? Your artifacts could have a set number
that are allowed to load ever. If then some one tries to load one it
will add that number on to the total for that object. If there are
maximum created already then they'll get a message saying they can't
load that object. Shrug. Just an idea. Or, let them be able to load
it, but if the maximum is exceeded then the object won't save. You
could also have a function to show where every X is in existance.

   %oshow 1303

   In room 1304 in a box.
   On Joe, in inventory.
   On Joe, in a bag.
   On Joe, wielded.
   On a guard (vnum 394), wielded.

Something like that. You could also make it run through their player
files if you really felt like it. Just a few ideas...

Quzah.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu