[MUD-Dev] Object server.

Quzah Quzah
Sat May 1 16:40:52 CEST 1999

Hello again.

First off thanks to everyone with regards to sockets. (Many thanks
to Cynbe ru Taren for an enormous amount of help and for putting up
with all my questions.) But now I have another idea...

It is sort of along the lines of a server that doesn't need to
reboot, except it would be that part of the server would never have
to reboot.

I was thinking of using local unix sockets to connect to an object
server that would pass me all the info I need about my items that
the mud uses. I was thinking that if I made a little (big?) server
to sit there and just take and pass info about objects (items) in
the world (their location and current state/owner/etc) I could have
a sort of persistant world. All objects would only ever reside on
that portion of the mud. If I made a stable version and all it
does is take calls from the rest of the mud requesting pieces of
info on items, I could keep track of the items in the mud and if
the connection/people/whatever section crashed this portion would
still be just sitting there waiting for the next request.

[mud] <---> [items]

Joe logs on, buys a sword. The [mud] tells the [items] that Joe
is now the owner of sword number 3546534 instead of the store owner.
It sets that info on the object on the item server and waits for the
next request. Joe goes to the mage guild and gets it enchanted to
do more damage against toads. That info gets passed to the item
server and it handles that info. (I suppose you could actually
use inet sockets if you wanted more than one mud to share the
same object server. You could do the same thing for rooms and
creatures and effectivly split the mud among servers, handling
connections to different "muds" that all shared the same world?)

Anyway, I was wondering everyone's opinion on the idea. Is it a
foolish/totally impractical idea or does it have its merits? Would
it take up way more cpu time than just having a single server to
handle everything? (Also I could have one creatures possibly or
what not -- I'm not the god of design or anything here... ;)

Anyway, it's just an idea (for now). The question is, is it a bad
idea or a good idea ;)

Quzah.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu