[MUD-Dev] Self-organizing worlds (was: Elder Games)

Tue Mar 23 18:28:42 CET 1999

"Koster, Raph" wrote:
> Basically: everyone is out for themselves, so shared spaces will get
> trashed. Named for the "commons" or communally shared spaces in villages. An
> explication with an ecological bent can be found at:

Ok, well, the commons does work to a certain degree. Perhaps especially
in the old society in which the boundaries for what was "doable" was
cemented (social mores, moral, fear of slander etc). Most of the mountain
areas in Norway are commons, that is owned by the government. If you have
a farm in a valley, you have certain rights in the surrounding mountains.
So, you got small clusters of houses, forming subcommunities in the
mountains during the summertime. The cows and sheep grass in the commons.
This is basically what I would like to see more of in MUDs. Provide
special fishing rights (or luck) to players who belong to a local
community etc. I'm sure you see what I am getting at.

--
Ola Fosheim Groestad,Norway      http://www.stud.ifi.uio.no/~olag/

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu