[MUD-Dev] Mass Creation OLC Functions (idea from Elder Games)

Matthew Mihaly diablo at best.com
Tue Mar 16 20:52:23 CET 1999

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Wes Connell wrote:

> After posting about my shadowrun mud idea, I started thinking about it a
> little more. How about an OLC function that creates the foundation for an
> area. Uses recursion and whatnot to create the rooms and exits then
> populate the area with mobjects and descriptions based on the area type.
>
> prompt> create area desert west
>
> This would create a desert-type area to the west.
>
> Why stop there? Why not have an input file of say a 20x20 grid and create
> an entire world.
>
> I'll use a 5x5 grid as example
>
> D D D D D     D = desert
> D D F F F     F = forest
> D F F F F     U = urban
> F U U F F
> F U U U F
>
> Anyone following me? You could even use an algorithm to generate the world
> grid for you so you can have a new world with each boot or whatever.

I agree that this is potentially interesting as a theoretical example, but
those sort of areas sound AWFULLY boring to play in. It'd be like making a
program to write a book for you! You'd end up with unimaginative trash
with no coherent plot, no individuality, etc. Not at all the sort of thing
I'd think that players would want to play in.
--matt

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu