[MUD-Dev] Multiple clients (was Re: How to support 1000+ simultaneous connections)

Thu Mar 11 22:38:07 CET 1999

[Matthew D. Fuller:]

 >One of my design goals is as much flexibility (immediate) and
 >customizability (simple codewise) as possible.  In the module that
 >handles the client connections, everything is designed to support some
 >number of clients ** N; from CLIENT_STREAM, for telnet or your related
 >client-of-choice, to CLIENT_DATAPACK, for a planned Java client.  And
 >it's fairly trivial to add more CLIENT_* types (I expect we won't fill up
 >an unsigned int anytime soon ;) to your heart's content.  All the specs
 >for additional types will, eventually, be written up in nice little
 >packages for client designers, and a subgoal is that all SHOULD have the
 >same basic necessary information.  Obviously, the person using the Java
 >client will see a bunch of cute little graphics, and the person using
 >telnet won't, but all the information necessary to PLAYING THE GAME
 >should be presented universally; thus no client type has a buitlin
 >handicap.

Check the devmud archives - the source is there waiting for you. Since
I wanted to support a binary client as well as telnet clients, I did
that in the networking code for my variant of the devmud prototype.
Plus, you get all the telnet handling stuff as a bonus (although it
might be more than you counted on).

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation.

Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA
               http://www.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA/cg/

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu