[MUD-Dev] thoughts on game economies

Greg Miller gmiller at classic-games.com
Mon Jun 21 14:05:35 CEST 1999

Matthew Mihaly wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jun 1999, Greg Miller wrote:
>

> > I believe AberMUDs still behave this way typically. Ancient Anguish
> > operates this way, and I've come to like it quite a bit. It's not
> > popular with newbies, but it allows for extremely powerful unique items
> > without serious balance problems, when combined with reboots every 25
> > hours.
>
> Why be so heavy-handed about it though? If your object is just to

Oh, I agree... I'm just pointing out one of the very beneficial
side-effects of muds that don't save equipment.

allow
> for extremely powerful unique items that disappear from players, then why
> not just have the extremely powerful unique items disappear when they log
> out. Or, have some sort of in-role reason. Perhaps these artifacts are

Because the items would never be circulated. The players would simply
pass them to their friends and only a small circle (clan, guild,
whatever) would hold on to them. The periodic reboots help with that.

> simply too powerful for mortal-kind to hold onto for any period of time,
> and bad things start happening if they hold onto them too long.

That's a reasonable approach, if you want to save eq (which is certainly
popular with players, and I rather like it myself).
--
http://www.classic-games.com/
Conspiracy theorists mistakenly assume others think before acting.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu