[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev digest, Vol 1 #105 - 12 msgs

Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt hhs at cbs.dtu.dk
Fri Jun 18 11:14:40 CEST 1999

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Dr. Cat wrote:
>=20
> My language is designed for non-programmers.  I call it a scripting=20
> language, and won't ever use words like "program" or "programming"
> in talking about it.  That's because a normal, non-programmer human
> will tend to hear those words and translate it in their head to "oh,=20
> that's something I can't do".  One of my proudest moments was one
> Halloween, when a 10 year old girl made a special dream where she
> scripted monsters to pop up from behind doors, and, with a couple
> of questions answered for her, made a spin-the-bottle game too.

[..snip..]=20
> (0:0) When everything is starting up,
[..snip..]

I must say, that this is an excellent example of a 'scripting language'
that is well designed to fit only the task that it needs. As such,
it is inherently easier to work with for a non programmer. The mental
models of a player, that would see the game as an interactive stage
where things 'happens' and would use the language to set up reactions
to 'things happening (events), is very well expressed in this language.
I wonder are the 'codes' in the beginning the 'command-code' for the
language, or do you use the 'English text translation' for your scripting
language? (or both?).=20

Hans Henrik St=E6rfeldt   |    bombman at diku.dk    | work:  hhs at cbs.dtu.dk=

address:                |___  +45 40383492    __|__       +45 45252425   =
  __|
 Dybendalsvej 74 2. th, | Scientific programmer at Center for Biological =

 2720 Vanl=F8se, Danmark. |  Sequence Analysis, Technical University of D=
enmark|

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu