[MUD-Dev] speed problems update

Matthew Mihaly diablo at best.com
Mon Jun 14 15:45:19 CEST 1999

Some of you asked me to post an update to our speed problem, which, as
you'll recall, involved a serious system slowdown when we put over 128
megs of RAM in (we tried 384, and 256). After learning more than I cared
to about motherboards and RAM issues and such, it seems that the problem
likely is that our motherboard (we experimented both with an ASUS and a
Nobilius board) can only cache the first 128 megs of RAM (or something
similar). So, we will probably now try to get a better motherboard, with a
meg of L2 cache, and see if that works.

BIG thanks to many of you for helping me with this problem. Not only did a
few people respond here on the list, but I got a number of private e-mails
from you, with detailed information and serious attempts to help. I really
appreciate it. Thanks again!
--matt

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu