[MUD-Dev] Re: memory and speed

Shawn Halpenny malachai at iname.com
Mon Jun 14 11:45:44 CEST 1999

On Fri, Jun 11, 1999 at 01:33:12PM -0700, Matthew Mihaly wrote:
> First, thanks to everyone trying to help me with this problem. Second, a
> summary:
>
> We use an amd k6 400 mhz processor running linux kernel 2.2.1. In response
> to JC's question about libc, we seem to have 2.0.7.so (hopefully that's
> the information you're after). We had 128 megs of Ram, and upgraded to
> 384, which massively slowed things down on Achaea. We removed the extra
> RAM, and the problem resolved itself. We then went up to 256 megs, and the
> same problem still existed. If it matters at all, I'm told that in BIOS,
> memory management is set to automatic or some such thing (I don't have
> access to the physical machine, as it's 3000 miles away from me). We have
> 512k of Level 2 cache.
>
> This is incredibly frustrating and disheartening (god I hate technology
> sometimes), and I DO really appreciate the help the list members are
> extending to me in this matter.

While not following this thread terribly closely, you might consider
the age of your motherboard (as I think has been mentioned).  There
was a specific issue of some boards not having enough "tag RAM" to
hold the extra bits needed to cache memory above a certain limit.
Some boards had an extra socket to plug this tag RAM in--sort of
"batteries not included" I guess.

--
Shawn Halpenny |        Maniacal at I Ache, Ohm    |  "Universal Danger!"
               | vi:G3kfM~lxfAPXh~l~2x2FirllpfcxlrifaprmfOX~Xp2hr.lrcelyl2p
- - - - - - - -|    fU~X~refsPprnlxppri2lxlpr,pFrpprrfaPlpfiprgllxp~3Xlp3l4x

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu