[MUD-Dev] Gender and Mud Development

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Fri Jun 11 22:48:08 CEST 1999

In <URL:/archives/meow?group+local.muddev> on Tue 08 Jun, Matthew Mihaly wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Marian Griffith wrote:

> I think you've hit the proverbial nail on its head. The "living through
> danger" with a group of friends seems to have LOTS of appeal to our female
> players.

Another one that is important, at least to me, is that players have to
work together. The more solists a game has the less interesting it be-
comes and in generally the more violent and anti-social.

> You know, one thing that is kind of interesting about the fact that fewer
> females play MUDs is that they tend to be highly valued as companions by
> all the males who cannot get a date. I occassionally get female players
> 'complaining' (I'm not sure how heart-felt these complaints are) about all
> the help they get offered, all the people that want to talk to them, etc

Believe them.
Getting too much attention from people  for no other reason than being
identifiably a woman is -not- nice. It is a lot like being stalked. In
fact it can be downright scary at times.
There is a reason  why so many females adopt gender neutral names on a
mud they play.

> I've actually considered, in the past, PAYING females to play just to
> keep some of the males satisfied.

uhm. I think I will refrain from commenting on that.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,
Arrows of the Queen, by Mercedes Lackey