[MUD-Dev] Re: Game Economies

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jun 11 21:02:48 CEST 1999

On 11 Jun 99,, Brandon J. Rickman wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Shawn Halpenny wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 11, 1999 at 02:04:35AM +0000, Jon A. Lambert wrote:
> > > It has been said that there are really only 36 plots.  And everything
> > > else is a remake.  For instance, the original 'Star Wars' was yet another
> > > remake of 'Le Morte de Artur'.
> >
> > I'd love a reference for this!  And if there are only 36 plots, one would
> > think it straightforward to write a storytelling engine to "play" them
> > out and have your game work within them... <kof>
>
> The likeliest source would be _The thirty-six dramatic situations_ by
> Georges Polti, written in 1917, translated from Italian.

Yep, and here's a link to a summary of the work.
<http://www.io.com/~jlockett/RPG/HEGGA/Stuff/frp-plots.html>

And here's a summary of Joseph Campbells's The Hero with a Thousand Faces
which is kind of related.
<http://bragg.physics.adelaide.edu.au/~iborchar/Arcane/heroes.html>

--
--*     Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD Email:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com             *--