[MUD-Dev] Game Economies

J C Lawrence claw at varesearch.com
Thu Jun 10 20:17:19 CEST 1999

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 18:24:04 -0500
Koster, Raph <rkoster at origin.ea.com> wrote:

> The basic lesson I took away from trying to develop economic AI in
> shopkeepers in UO was, don't bother. It's a multiplayer
> game. Spend that development coming up with systems that support
> the *player-to-player* economy, and you'll end up with something
> isn't a sim--it'll be real.

Translation: Effort spent on AI in MU games is largely wasted --
human players are far more efficient, effective, and cheaper AI's
than you'll ever design or implement.  Instead spend your time on
helping the human AI's express themselves.

This is of course an extension to my fertility law.

J C Lawrence                                   Home: claw at kanga.nu
---------(*)                Linux/IA64 - Work: claw at varesearch.com
 ... Beware of cromagnons wearing chewing gum and palm pilots ...

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu