[MUD-Dev] Game Economies

Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt hhs at cbs.dtu.dk
Thu Jun 10 15:32:17 CEST 1999

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Koster, Raph wrote:

> > like it might be able to be correlated to a progressive income tax.
>=20
> We did something like that on UO for a while--the total quantity of gol=
d in
> the system was tied to the total size of the playerbase, and goods/gold=
 on
> monsters (or issued by shops) was tied to how much remained in the "ban=
k"
> (eg, not in play, either on monsters or in players' hands).
>=20
> The system broke because players hoarded *everything*. Soon no monsters=
 were
> worth killing because they had no loot whatsoever, and every shop was o=
ut of
> stock and out of cash.
>=20

Did you make 'the game' passive in this balance, or did 'the game' try
harder to get at the resources if the players hoarded them? If hoarding
caused repeated attacks on players/settlements, soon hoarded resources
would be brought 'back into the economic loop'. If you keep a fortune,=20
others (the game) should be that more persistant in getting at it.
You would have to spend some or alot of it to protect the rest. Also,
hoarding _large_ amounts of stuff should be rather hard (require lots of
space in a relatively secure place). Any comments?

Hans Henrik St=E6rfeldt   |    bombman at diku.dk    | work:  hhs at cbs.dtu.dk=

address:                |___  +45 40383492    __|__       +45 45252425   =
  __|
 Dybendalsvej 74 2. th, | Scientific programmer at Center for Biological =

 2720 Vanl=F8se, Danmark. |  Sequence Analysis, Technical University of D=
enmark|

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu