[MUD-Dev] Gender and Mud Development

Koster Koster
Thu Jun 10 09:32:24 CEST 1999

My belief is that one reason why there are so many fairly similar hack n
slash ones is that many of the hack n slash types move on from mud to mud
when they master a given one. The ladder of achievement is exhausted, and
the game doesn't evolve into different modes of gameplay as you advance in
it--it remains just kill-the-foozle.

>  and whether the attraction of less brutal games
> (with the resultant lack of economic inflation problems) is not due
> in a large part to the fact that the game itself can remain (or be
> predicted to remain, which is an equally if not more sensitive and
> important player perception) interesting for far longer.

Yes, except that it has no initial hook, which may present a problem. A lot
of the less brutal games out there now have real trouble giving an immediate
goal for players that is clearly understood and easy to achieve (like, say,
kill-the-foozle).

> Short and long term goals...

I hammer on this point: support MULTIPLE goals...

-Raph

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu