[MUD-Dev] Gender and Mud Development (back on topic, some)

Marc Bowden ryumo at merit.edu
Thu Jun 10 08:02:23 CEST 1999

On Wed, 09 Jun 1999 21:57:55 -0700 claw at kanga.nu wrote:

>Precisely.  Mostly I suspect that this is a product of growth and
>learning curves in players, and the complex interaction of system
>systems (ie the component goal lines).  Once a player has observed
>and accomplished a number of goals, they have learned enough about
>and are comfortable enough with the game that they are both
>confident of and capable of defining their own goals with a
>reasonable chance of having that goal be achievable and enjoyable
>withing the game and world definition.
>
>Give a man a chess board and a pile of pieces and tell him to invent
>a game (which is essentially all a goal is, a principle component of
>a game), and he'll likely do nothing of note.  Teach him chess and
>checkers and half a dozen other bboard games, let him play for a
>good while and then throw the pieces at him and he has a far better
>chance of coming up with something that is at least not boring.
>He's no longer a stranger in a strange land, he has some familiarity
>and knowledge of system that he can base things on.

  Also a reasonably good arguement for only taking on creators or
cast members who have some decent experience as players. Creators
who don't have that experience - or even worse, Administrators -
tend to come up with unplayable areas or games because they don't
know what makes up a reasonable set of goals, or the expectations
of the guests. They're technically brilliant - all shiny and neat
and can be hauled out and bragged about - but they're not playable.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu