[MUD-Dev] Text Parsing

Koster Koster
Wed Jun 9 22:42:38 CEST 1999

In UO we actually turned most of that off, in the end, despite a major part
of the design being based around it. :(

> > We think we're going to have to convert to a UO-style system where
> > we split upt he land geographically and run the different areas on
> > different servers. That SEEMS, to my not-very-knowledgeable-self,
> > to be something that we shouldn't have to do just to get past 100
> > players online (i figure I can squeeze out another 33% performance
> > from careful optimization).
>
> The above simultaneous simulated user load was on a low end
> AlphaStation with 192Meg of RAM (forget CPU # and clock) whose
> performance is roughly equivalent to a P300 with 64Meg RAM (Alpha
> code and data density is very low).  That box got me up to 700
> users, at which point it essentially cratered.  Given a decent PC
> base, I see little reason you shouldn't be able to pass the 1,500
> point modulus Linux kernel issues (such as the single IO lock).

UO has around 800 players per map, and generally 2400 NPCs/creatures, on
what are basically nice Pentium II dual-processor workstations (we split the
load between the processors--one gets traffic, the other handles the map).

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu