[MUD-Dev] Text Parsing

Joey Hess joey at kitenet.net
Wed Jun 9 20:31:22 CEST 1999

J C Lawrence wrote:
> I've scaled using simulated users under very artificial conditions
> and a rather minimal world to just over 700 simultaneous players on
> a fairly mid-range box.  Performance at that point really became a
> kernel function due to poor MT work on IO under Linux (single lock).

When you speak of simultaneous users, how active were they? Did they issue 1
command per second, a constant stream of commands, or what?

I do frequent benchmarking on my moo, but I've so far been using a
simplistic test that calculates the average number of commands per second.
(Perlmoo can manage about 170/sec right now on a P-II 350, I figure that
corresponds to more than 5x that many normal active users.) Of course this
eliminates any overhead due to threading or network IO, etc, but that can be
a good thing when you have little control over those factors anyway.

--
see shy jo

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu