[MUD-Dev] Gender and Mud Development (back on topic, some)

Koster Koster
Wed Jun 9 16:06:26 CEST 1999

This sort of tactic (not literally illusions, but other uses such as bardic
techniques of enticement and the like) are extremely common on graphical
muds. In fact, many players consider them to be unfair! As an example, it's
quite common in Ultima Online to teleport up onto ledges and shoot or
magically fry monsters that cannot reach you below--and it's considered to
be "cheap" because there's no element of risk (UO monsters are really quite
stupid, and can't teleport up onto the ledge after you). Also common is
using any of several skills to lure monsters into traps where you have
summoned things like energy vortices or blade spirits that are
uncontrollable but deadly aggressive for the duration of their existences.
No risk to the player, and the monster gets chopped/fried to death.
Sometimes these traps rely on the landscape--other times, players use spells
like Wall of Stone to make the traps.

-Raph

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu