[MUD-Dev] Languages (slightly offtopic, was Text Parsing)

Matthew Mihaly diablo at best.com
Tue Jun 8 14:58:31 CEST 1999

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Greg Miller wrote:

> think it's logically consistent" is much better than "Lots of people
> disagree with us, so it must always be because they don't have a clue."

Look, this is the last post I'm going to make on our combat system (of
course, I'm liable to post again anyway, despite my best intentions). Our
combat system is a _system_. A change in it ripples through the whole
system. Without understanding the system, you cannot hope to make
reasonable suggestions regarding it. I don't post suggestions, for
instance, to Caliban as to how to improve his combat system, because I
don't have any real understanding of it. Likewise, I don't consider myself
much of a coder, so I don't post suggestions to people here on what they
are doing wrong with their server design, because I don't really
understand it. You seem as if you're offended by the idea that you don't
understand our combat system, and that I am not willing to listen to your
suggestions, but there isn't a field in the world where anyone who knows
nothing about a particular system (aeroplane design, third-world
economics, etc) where someone with no understanding of the system is going
to be listened to. Sorry, but that's just the way things are.
--matt

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu