[MUD-Dev] Average play time?

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Tue Jun 8 14:23:12 CEST 1999

On 02:17 PM 6/8/99 -0600, I personally witnessed Timothy O'Neill Dang
jumping up to say:

>...any estimates of how many hours per day/per week the average MUD
>player plays? Even better, has someone done a publicly available study
>of this?

Varies widely. My own tendency is to play a game for eight to twelve hours
a day when it's new, dropping to eight to twelve hours a week after I get
familiar with it, and then eight to twelve hours a month when it becomes
boring but I feel a need to stay in touch. I've been known to log 40 to 60
hours on a single login when I first start playing a game, normally after a
few one to two hour logins to get acclimated. I also run in bursts; most of
the games I still play get played about twice a month, usually short
touch-base sorts of logins, but occasionally I will log in and do a ten to
twelve hour stretch.

It's notable that I'm a *very* serious gamer, and these numbers are likely
to be on the extreme side. I do not normally log in and idle, but I know
several people who like to just sort of stick their finger into the pie and
leave it there to stay in touch with it. A lot of daytime gamers log in
when they get to work, and then do *nothing* on the game except sit there.
I've done this on occasion, but it's normally because I touched base and
forgot to log out. ;)

-----

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu