[MUD-Dev] Rooms

Greg Miller gmiller at classic-games.com
Sat Jun 5 00:42:09 CEST 1999

Ross Nicoll wrote:
> That's assuming you're using a co-ordinate system; I was thinking a room
> based system, more, actually. This means recursion shouldn't go deeper

Actually, I was thinking in terms of the recent discussions about
coordinates within rooms... now I see what you mean, though.

> than one room, to start with, and locations do not have to be calculated.
> The biggest problem will be how to accurately describe the relationships
> between objects.
>
> A table in the centre of a room is easy.
>
> Now put that table against one wall. Suddenly, you have to be able to
> define walls individually.
>
> Now put it against a corner. You need to make it relative to two walls
> now. And where is it defined as being on the floor, BTW...

Yeah, this is why coordinates within rooms sprang to mind immediately.

> You also need to be able to define simple layouts, for the rendering (is
> that what you meant earlier, actually?). Items need to be able to be
> defines as associated; for example around a table, you have three equally
> spaced chairs. Or if you have three tables in a row/column. Or even in a
> matrix formation. Just gets more and more fun doesn't it :)

Yeah, basically this gives you something similar to what I was
describing, but with fuzzier positions. One advantage I see is that
you'd have something scalable in terms of detail. With the coordinate
system, you have to decide on a more or less fixed scale for the
numbers.

While we're on the subject, what does this positioning buy us in terms
of gameplay, assuming we get the technical side worked out? The first
things that spring to mind are generated descriptions from different
locations in the room, so maybe we can hide items a little more
effectively--but what else?
--
http://www.classic-games.com/
President Clinton was acquitted; then again, so was O. J. Simpson.

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu