[MUD-Dev] Rooms

Fri Jun 4 23:48:35 CEST 1999

[Matthew Mihaly:]

> Well, we haven't done it yet, but when we institute oceans and ships, our
> oceans will be coordinate-based, whereas the rest of the world is
> room-based. Players will never physically be IN a coordinate, so to speak.
> They'll always be on a ship (which will be a set of rooms pointing to a
> coordinate). If they go overboard, they will be stuck in an ocean "room",
> of which there will be a few (one for each 'sector' of an ocean). Not sure
> if this is what you were looking for or not.

Exactly! I had forgotten about it, but I did just that (in a more limited
fashion) in an old adventure game I wrote many years ago. The basic
system was room based, but there were a few (3?) vehicles that you
could ride on. The main one was a submarine, which itself had several
rooms. The sub was in a big underground lake, which was a 3D set of
interconnected "rooms", which needed no description or anything. The
sub had a heading, and planes for up/down control. The "room" to move
it to was calculated based on those and the current position. It could
fire torpedoes (not for combat, but for unblocking a passage), and their
path was calculated through the "rooms" based on co-ordinates. Still
mostly room-based, but with some co-ordinates thrown in.

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation.

Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA
               http://www.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA/cg/

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu