[MUD-Dev] Languages (slightly offtopic, was Text Parsing)

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Fri Jun 4 14:46:05 CEST 1999

On 02:46 PM 6/4/99 +00-05, I personally witnessed Jon A. Lambert jumping up
to say:

>Many of us here are designing games, or what we hope to pass off on the
>unsuspecting user as games. <grin>

I think I'm designing the latter. ;)

>Why then do we take our lovingly crafted and painstakingly complex
>"games" and surrender complete control of the user interface and
>presentation to the likes of Nick Gammon, Ken Keys, Kathleen MacMahon,
>and Zugg?

Because we want to build games, not user interfaces? I mean, I suspect
that's why the main server loop of damn near every MUD is almost identical:
we don't want to write network code, either. ;)

>While I'm certain that most of these persons are very nice
>people and quite competent, just what do _they_ know about your game?

Nick and I will probably work together on enhancing and extending
MUSHclient to be a very competent UU interface. It's good to know a client
author or two.

>Does it bother anyone that the vast majority of _newcomers_ to mudding
>will be entering your world via clicking a web page link and seeing a
>badly wrapped and ill-formatted hard to read white screen with black
>letters (MS Telnet)?

That bothers me greatly, actually, BUT -- I insist on being prepared for
it. IOW, if you use that default telnet client to connect, you should be
able to play the game just as well as anyone else.

-----

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu