[MUD-Dev] Languages (slightly offtopic, was Text Parsing)

Matthew Mihaly diablo at best.com
Fri Jun 4 13:59:20 CEST 1999

On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:

> On 01:22 AM 6/3/99 -0700, I personally witnessed Matthew Mihaly jumping up
> to say:
> >
> >How many of you actually enjoy playing your games,
> > or even playing a significant aspect of yours? *raises his hand*
>
> *waving hands frantically*

Cool. It strikes me as odd that most mud admins I've talked to don't like
their games well enough to actually play them themselves. Although, if
it's mainly a go-out-and-bash monsters type of thing, I can understand, as
they already know all the areas so there is no excitement in exploration.

> >I'm not trying to brag. I'm
> >fully confident of the quality of my combat system, because frankly I
> >_love_ fighting in Achaea. It is not a game. it is a sport.
>
> Well, see, I don't like sports. They strike me as rather pointless and
> boring. That's why I spent so much time on my computer to begin with; all
> the other kids wanted to play football and basketball and baseball and all
> these team-oriented things.

Sports aren't any more pointless than muds if you enjoy them (you clearly
do not). Anything you enjoy is worth a lot, imho.

> >Sorry if this sounds self-promoting. It's not meant to be.
>
> It should be. If you're not proud of what you're building, why build it?
> Self-promote all to hell, my friend! Be proud! Be vocal! Sure, I don't
> think *I'd* like it, but I can appreciate your pride in it! Hell, you
> probably think the same thing about my stuff! :)

Ok. Ra ra ra Achaea!

> >I just hear most of the
> >posters here talking as if certain things are a given (like player vs.
> >player combat being crap), and frankly outside of Achaea and Avalon, I have
> >never seen a combat system that even compares in terms of the rush.
>
> I always find that combat systems are more tedium than excitement. I prefer
> to go for suspense. And I haven't even *mentioned* the availability of SHIP
> defenses... you think taking a *sector* is tough? Heh. Heh heh heh heh.
> Dead man switches, trap door retreats, device bay missiles, device
> chameleons, homing signal jammers, surveillance feedback emitters... and my
> personal favorite, EXPLOSIVE SHIP DECOYS! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Well again, I think the reason is probably because you've never played
muds with good combat systems. On 99% of muds (at least the ones that I
have heard of or played), combat IS tedium.

--matt

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu