[MUD-Dev] Text Parsing

Ross Nicoll rnicoll at lostics.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 4 04:45:04 CEST 1999

On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Travis S. Casey wrote:

> > One alternative, looking at the results, would be to point the user at the
> > "help" command if they entered "how", "what", "why", etc... as the verb?
> How about all of the above?  It's definitely a good idea to give a brief
> (4 or 5 line) summary of the most important commands to all new characters
> before dumping them into the world.  You could point the commands Russ
> mentioned to "help" as well.
Thinking about it, if the help system is searchable, the arguments to
those words could be searched for. So "How do I talk?" might give back
information on communication in general, or the "say" command, depending
on exact setup...

> Following that idea, you could set things up so that after three or four
> non-commands in a row, the system gives info on how to get help.
*nods* I can't see any real problem implimenting this. It would be
slightly tricky with my system, because the parser isn't meant to keep
per-user data, but I think I could do it okay...
--

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu