[MUD-Dev] What about goal oriented interfaces? (was Re: [MUD-Dev] Text Parsing)

Thu Jun 3 15:17:56 CEST 1999

Chris Gray wrote:
> Ola wrote:
> > There is basically no reason to make a design which requires users to put
> > things under, over, on top of, to the left of etc.  Basically, I'd like to
> > see the designer ask the question "What is the minimal set of actions that
> > will allow all the core experiences I want to support?". Then you make sure
> > that your design invites to the kind of actions you support and make sure
> > that you support those actions rather well.
>
> Only really true if you are writing a single integrated MUD system (which
> includes the scenario/world). In a system with on-line building, or with
> a programming language, the author of the system itself doesn't really
> have control over what the builders will do. If such control is attempted,
> you're likely to end up with annoyed builders.

Heh, if you don't try any such control directly or indirectly then your
system will be confusing and boring to anyone except those who built it and
their friends.  Counterexamples please!

Even in a building environment you can have such control indirectly.  I was
born in a LP builder environment and there is no way you can convince me
that giving lowlevel programming access to everybody is a good idea.  You
can and should integrate restrictions in the buildingenvironment itself.  If
you care about usability you certainly need review procedures for main
areas.  Because, builders should not be allowed to change the meaning of
actions.  You need to have limitations on explosives right?  That is
basically in the same problemspace.

No matter what you do the user will have to translate his intentions into
some arbitrary digital information.  You need to preserve the interface
paradigm which your system operates under for regular actions.   Why not
make the mapping clean and visible from the start?  Especially in a builder
environment!!!

You can get a long way with: n,s,e,w,look,get,drop,i,use,push

	> look Peter
	Peter is sleeping.
	> use sword
	You attack Peter.
	Peter will kill you in two blows.
	> use invisibility ring

	> look Peter
	Peter is sleeping.
	> push Peter
	Peter wakes up.

	> look
	There is a closed door to the north
	You carry: golden key, silver key
	You unlock the door with the silver key, open the door
	and enter the house.
	> push door
	The door closes.
	> use golden key
	The door is now locked.

	> look
	There is a closed door to the north
	You carry: nothing
	The door appears to be locked, but you notice a pushbutton
	> push button
	You hear the merry sound of a doorbell.

--
Ola Fosheim Groestad,Norway      http://www.stud.ifi.uio.no/~olag/