[MUD-Dev] Languages (slightly offtopic, was Text Parsing)

Thu Jun 3 02:44:26 CEST 1999

"Jon A. Lambert" wrote:
> I'm 90% certain my users will prefer to drag the word/object "sword" from
> their avatar's scabbard and drop it on their avatar's hand.

I don't know your users of course, but in general I am 99.99999% sure that
there are users that are slow typist point-and-click fans, that some love
point-and-click, but have a problem with their wrist, that some hate using a
mouse, that some does not have space for a mouse, that some will like to do
everything from a asdf-jkl; position, that some will start out using mouse
moving to keyboard as they become comfortable with the system, that some
want to have everything as macros on a sillion functionkeys...

Basically, a good design will have to support both.  Keyboard only makes
sense for a MUD though, as you need to keep your hands on the keyboard when
you chat.  Mouse only operations for anything but rarely used operations
isn't sound for something that is used so intensely as a MUD either.

(Then you have those that would like to do everything with a gamepad...)
--
Ola

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu