[MUD-Dev] Text Parsing

Ben Greear greear at cyberhighway.net
Wed Jun 2 20:30:12 CEST 1999

Chris Gray wrote:

> [Ben Greear:]
>
> > For instance, which of these would you chose to type:
> > get the sword from the second bag
> > get sword 2.bag
> > ge sw 2.bag
>
> Admittedly, I'm a better typist than your average user, so my feelings
> will be different. However, I'd be happy with either of the first
> two, provided of course that I could drop the 'the's. I don't like the
> third, because I don't know what system of abbreviations is allowed.
> Above all else I want a predictable interface. I wouldn't have a problem
> with the 'ge' (although I don't see the need to abbreviate a 3-letter
> command to 2 letters), because I could view that as a fixed abbreviation.
> I wouldn't (and don't) know when/where the 'sw' was allowed, so I doubt
> I would ever use it.

I do a kind of 'first match' on everything, including verbs and objects.
Personally, I only abbreviate things that are hard to type, but if implemented
for one, it works for all :)  In my third example, I assume sword is the first
object in the bag that starts with sw :)

Also, first match on the verb is up to me, and I require some to be
fully matched due to parsing issues and safety.

> --
> Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation.
>
> Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA
>                http://www.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA/cg/

Ben Greear (greear at cyberhighway.net)  http://www.primenet.com/~greear
Author of ScryMUD:  mud.primenet.com 4444        (Released under GPL)
http://www.primenet.com/~greear/ScryMUD/scry.html

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu