[MUD-Dev] Text Parsing

Matthew Mihaly diablo at best.com
Tue Jun 1 23:54:10 CEST 1999

On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Ben Greear wrote:

> However, has anyone ever done any study or seen anything that proports
> to explain what a common (for some value of common) user would like?
> In other words, usability?

Yes, I agree fully with this sentiment. Reading these endless streams of
posts dissecting the details of writing parsers is lovely in an academic
way, but I don't know anyone that would type "get red sword and blue sword
then walk north" rather than:
get red sword
get blue sword

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against academic discussion, nor
against the idea of making a mud simply to please yourself. However, if,
as it seems, the stated goal of this parser discussion is to make things
easier on players, I think you're going in the wrong direction.

--matt

MUD-Dev maillist  -  MUD-Dev at kanga.nu